You might have trouble getting your kids to eat their vegetables, but fruit—and apples in particular—are usually a win. According to a 2015 study in the journal Pediatrics, apples accounted for nearly 19% of total fruit intake among children and teens between the ages of two and 19-years-old. A whole apple or apple slices packed for lunch or school snacks are a no-brainer, but if you’re looking for some fun, kid-friendly, healthy apple recipes any time of the day, here are 37 to try.
HEALTHY APPLE RECIPES FOR BREAKFAST
Start the day off with a healthy, easy breakfast, and these kid-friendly healthy apple recipes. Related: 25 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Kids
1. Who says you can’t serve cookies for breakfast? These Healthy Apple Pie Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies from Amy’s Healthy Baking are gluten-free and pair well with eggs, Greek yogurt, or other high-protein foods.
2. Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal from The Work Top calls for only real food ingredients, has no added sugars, and only takes 10 minutes to make.
Related: What Are Added Sugars?
3. This Apple-Pear Oatmeal Smoothie (aka Apple Pie Smoothie) from Kristine’s Kitchen is packed with protein, high in fiber, and a good source of key nutrients like calcium and potassium.
Related: How to Make Smoothies For Kids
4. Quinoa (a seed) makes for a protein and fiber-filled breakfast option and this Apple Pie Quinoa Bowl from Love & Zest is one of the best kid-friendly healthy apple recipes.
5. If your kids are getting bored with regular ‘ol oatmeal day after day, try these Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cups from Live Well Bake Often. Soft, chewy, and delicious, make a batch and you won’t have to make breakfast the rest of the week.
6. Apple Pie Overnight Chia Pudding from Two Healthy Kitchens is a quick, easy, and healthy apple recipe that will keep your kids feeling full until lunch.
HEALTHY APPLE MUFFINS
During the fall, there’s nothing better than a batch of warm healthy apple muffins for breakfast or any time of day.
7. Cookie + Kate’s Healthy Apple Muffins are lower in sugar than most muffins and have a decent amount of protein and fiber to boot.
8. These Healthy Apple Muffins from Super Healthy Kids call for walnuts—a great source of the healthy fats kids need in their diets. With 4 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber, these muffins are one of the best healthy apple recipes for kids.
9. What I love most about making healthy apple muffins are the spices and this recipe for Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Muffins from Sally’s Baking Addiction is loaded with cinnamon, allspice, and vanilla—yum!
10. There’s nothing better than the combination of pumpkin and apple this time of year so when I saw this recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Apple Muffins from Minimalist Baker, I knew I had to include it. With easy pumpkin puree and sautéed cinnamon apples, these muffins are moist and delicious and take only 15 minutes to whip up.
HEALTHY APPLE BREAD RECIPES
The aroma of apple bread filling up your home on a cool fall morning is simply divine and these recipes couldn’t be easier.
11. This healthy, hearty, and moist Apple Bread recipe from Well Plated by Erin has a fair amount of protein, fiber, and healthy fats thanks to the walnuts and is lower in sugar than most quick breads.
12. This Healthy Flourless Fresh Apple Bread from The Bakermama calls for a handful of easy ingredients, is loaded with fresh apples, and only calls for 1/4 cup of honey. Even better—it takes just 5 minutes to whip up.
13. This gluten-free, dairy-free Healthy Apple Cinnamon Bread from Erin Lives Whole is a cross between a moist apple cake and banana bread. With loads of cinnamon-sugar diced apples on top, it couldn’t be more delicious.
14. Fresh apples, a delicious cinnamon pecan topping, and creamy glaze combine to make this delicious Vegan Apple Bread from Eating Bird Food.
15. Made with applesauce, small chunks of fresh apples, and walnuts, this Applesauce Nut Bread from Skinnytaste is healthy, moist, and delicious. With 3 grams of fiber and only 14 grams of sugar per serving, this apple bread is better—and more filling—than most processed kids’ snacks.
SAVORY APPLE RECIPES
Fresh apples are the ultimate ingredient in fall recipes and these savory apple recipes couldn’t be healthier or more delicious.
16. Whether you serve it for dinner or breakfast, this recipe for Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage from The View From Great Island is sweet and savory and surprisingly simple to pull together.
17. With yummy French bread, sage, and celery, this Easy Apple Sausage Stuffing from Dinner Then Dessert is one of the best kid-friendly healthy apple recipes.
18. If you’re looking for easy lunch ideas for distance learning or school, this Grilled Cheese Sandwich With Apples from the Lemon Bowl is so easy. With sprouted bread, farmer’s cheese (a pressed cottage cheese that is more acidic and has a firmer texture), and sliced apples, this sandwich has a ton of flavor and texture that your kids will love.
19. The combination of apple, cheddar, and caramelized onions is simply divine and this recipe for Apple Cheddar Flatbread Pizza With Caramelized Onions from Killing Thyme is an amazingly savory apple dish. With crisp apples, crunchy walnuts, rich cheddar, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, it’s a great appetizer or weekend treat.
20. On a cold autumn night, this Broccoli Apple Soup from Simply Recipes is a creamy meal without any cream and it’s ready in just 40 minutes.
21. This Apples Honey Cheese Quesadilla from Weelicious is an easy lunch idea that your kids can also help make themselves.
22. These Cinnamon Apple Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Vegukate are filled with vitamins, minerals, and filling fiber, and one of the best kid-friendly healthy apple recipes around.
23. Most kids love mashed potatoes and this recipe for Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Apples from Clean Eating Veggie Girl will be your go-to dinner side dish this fall.
24. This one-skillet Apple Sweet Potato Hash from Fresh Off The Grid is sweet and savory and makes for an easy, healthy breakfast or quick weeknight dinner.
25. Upgrade your usual take-out with this Chinese Vegetarian Fried Rice With Apples from Archana’s Kitchen. Sweet and savory, this dish is kid-friendly and has a ton of flavor and texture.
26. Mac and cheese is a quintessential kid-friendly meal and this recipe for Apple-Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese from Farm Flavor is a great one to try. With warm, cheesy goodness and a crunchy panko topping, this will be your go-to dinner all month long.
HEALTHY APPLE CRISP RECIPES
If you love warm apple crisp but want an upgraded, lower-sugar version, give these recipes a try.
27. This Healthy Apple Crisp from Ambitious Kitchen uses maple syrup instead of sugar and has a crunchy oat pecan topping.
28. This gluten-free Healthy Apple Crisp Recipe from Kim’s Cravings has more than 5 grams of fiber and only 15 grams of sugar. It takes only 10 minutes to pull together and can be made ahead of time, and be frozen (baked or unbaked).
29. If you love a crispy oat topping, try this recipe for Old Fashioned Easy Apple Crisp from The Chunky Chef.
30. With cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom, this Apple Crisp recipe from Love and Lemons is the perfect after-dinner treat on a cold fall night. The almond flour and walnuts give this dish protein and fiber and with only 1/3 cup of sugar for the entire dish, it’s something you can feel good about serving your kids.
31. This one bowl Healthified Apple Crisp from Minimalist Baker is whole-grain, gluten-free, and super-easy to pull together. With nearly 4 grams of fiber and just over 17 grams of sugar, it’s one of the best kid-friendly healthy apple recipes you can serve.
HEALTHY APPLE DESSERT RECIPES
If apple crisp isn’t your thing, there are tons of healthy apple dessert recipes too.
32. For a fun after-dinner dessert, try these vegan and gluten-free Apple Nachos from One Lovely Life. With protein-packed peanut butter, fiber-filled apples, and yummy chocolate chips, this is one of the best kid-friendly healthy apple recipes.
33. Instead of store-bought cinnamon rolls or Cinnabon which are highly-processed and high in sugar and saturated fat, try this recipe for Vegan Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls from Delish Knowledge. With apples, cinnamon, cardamom, and pecans, these rolls are delicious, lower in sugar, and only take 30 minutes to make.
34. This rustic Sugar Free Apple Tart Recipe from Jennifer Tyler Lee calls for a handful of easy ingredients, is naturally sweet, and takes just 15 minutes to whip up.
35. With only 3 ingredients and no added sugars, this recipe for Simple Baked Apples from Happy Healthy Mama is an easy after-dinner treat your whole family will love.
36. With whole grain and almond flour, and almond or cashew butter, this Classic Apple Crumble from Ve Eat Cook Bake is protein-packed, sugar-free, and oil-free.
37. This Healthy Apple Pie Recipe from Chocolate Covered Kate has more than 4 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, and only 11 grams of sugar per serving.