Whether you’re packing lunch boxes or preparing lunch for your distance learners, tuna fish sandwiches are healthy, quick, and easy. Yet with so many other types of canned fish, the possibilities are endless for lunch—or any other time of day. Of course, fish isn’t always an easy sell for kids so finding kid-friendly, delicious canned fish recipes is key.
IS CANNED FISH HEALTHY?
Don’t let the convenient package fool you—canned fish is just as healthy as fresh and frozen.
Canned fish is packed with protein, low in saturated fat, rich in micronutrients, and an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids which support kids’ brain health and memory.
Mercury in canned fish is a concern, but choosing low-mercury fish and sticking with healthy portion sizes can reduce your child’s exposure.
Incorporating canned fish into your kids’ meals is also a great way to get more variety in their diet, which studies show may be the way to raise healthy, adventurous eaters.
Not only is canned fish healthy, but it’s more affordable than fresh and frozen and it’s super-convenient for lunch, dinner, and snack time.
HOW TO FIND THE BEST CANNED FISH BRANDS
The Environmental Working Group has a Food Scores database where you can find information about nutrition, ingredients like mercury and BPA, and how much the canned fish has been processed.
TYPES OF CANNED FISH TO SERVE KIDS
Here are some types of canned fish to try serving your kids.
- Tuna — stick with canned light tuna (solid or chunk, including skipjack)
CANNED FISH RECIPES
Whether it’s a quick and easy lunch, a savory dish for dinner, or a delicious after-school snack, these canned fish recipes are healthy, delicious, and kid-friendly.
CANNED SALMON RECIPES
1. Baked Salmon Cakes — from Yummy Toddler Food
2. Salmon Croquettes — from Healthy Little Foodies
3. 5 Minute Salmon Dip — from The Home Cook’s Kitchen
4. Quick Salmon Patties — from Zen & Spice
5. Kid-Friendly Tuna Melt — from The Domestic Dietitian
6. Simple, Tasty Tuna Wraps — from Super Healthy Kids
7. Wild Caught Tuna Crostini — The View From Great Island
8. Corn and Tuna-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Kidspot Kitchen
9. Avocado Tuna Salad — from Simply Recipes
10. The Simplest Puttanesca Sauce —from Alexandra’s Kitchen
11. Caesar Dressing — from Gimme Some Oven
12. Spaghetti With Garlic, Anchovies and Parsley — from Savory Simple
13. Sardine Rice Bowl — from Kitchen Gidget
14. Healthy Lemon Parmesan Sardine Pasta — from The Recipe Critic
15. Sardine Patties — from Delicious.
16. Weeknight Spaghetti With Clams — from Mom’s Kitchen
17. Clam Dip With Cream Cheese & Homemade Pita Chips — from The Spruce Eats
18. Weeknight Seafood Paella — from Skinnytaste
19. Kipper Recipe: Smoked Fish Sliders — from Champagne Tastes