Along with strawberries and cherries, avocado (it’ also a fruit!), is one of the healthiest and most delicious foods you can serve your kids.
Guacamole, avocado toast or added to green smoothies are some tried and true ways to serve them up.
But there are so many healthy avocado recipes that the options are endless.
My kids are big fans of avocado—whether it’s in a salad, mixed with sweet corn, tomato and red onion, and of course served with tortilla chips.
Here, learn a bit why avocados are healthy for kids, and get 20 healthy avocado recipes to try.
Avocados are a superfood for kids
Tons of vitamins and minerals
With 20 vitamins and minerals including vitamins B5, B6, C, E, K, folate and potassium, your kids will get a ton of nutrition without a lot of calories.
Avocados also contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which are carotenoids, or plant pigments found in the eyes that can improve memory and processing speed, one study found.
Eating avocado alongside nutrient-dense vegetables helps to improve the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients like vitamins A, D, K and E.
Avocados are an excellent source of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, or the healthy fats that can help reduce bad cholesterol and the risk for heart disease later on in life.
The polyunsaturated fats found in avocado are also vital for brain growth and development during pregnancy, infancy and childhood.
Avocado is a great source of fiber, which helps to satisfy kids’ hunger, help them feel fuller longer, prevent weight gain and cure constipation.
Related: How Much Fiber Do Kids Need?
25 Healthy Avocado Recipes for Kids
Mashed, blended, scooped or cut up into cubes, there are so many ways to serve avocado.
Avocado makes a healthy first food for baby or as a substitute for mayonnaise, mustard or ketchup, or for butter in baked goods.
Here are some healthy and delicious ways to serve avocado.
1. Butternut Squash Avocado Muffins
2. Tropical Avocado Breakfast Parfait
4. Avocado Pineapple Smoothie Bowl
5. Bacon and Eggs in a Mason Jar Topped with Avocado, Tomato and Basil
6. California Grilled Chicken Avocado and Mango Salad
8. Avocado and Cheese Toasties
10. Avocado and Cheese Roll-Ups
11. Summer Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad with Creamy Buttermilk-Dijon Dressing
12. Avocado Chicken Enchiladas
13. Avocado Cilantro Lime Rice
14. Tortilla Soup
15. Summer Goodness Millet Salad
16. Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
17. Avocado Pasta
Snacks and Desserts
18. The Easiest 4-Ingredient Guacamole
19. Avocado Fries With Lime Dipping Sauce
21. Vegan Brownies
22. Mint Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
23. Creamy Avocado Lime Parfaits
25. Chocolate Avocado Pudding Pops