Whether you’re raising vegetarian kids, eating more plant-based foods or simply trying to get your kids to eat a vegetable (any vegetable!), these vegetarian lunch ideas for kids will give you a ton of ideas.
Like gluten-free diets and foods, it’s easy to become a junk-food vegetarian if you rely on store-bought options, many of which are highly processed, contain artificial ingredients, and are high in sodium, saturated fat, and added sugars.
Instead, do your best to focus on real, whole foods which will give your kids the nutrition they need without anything else. This list of vegetarian lunch ideas for kids are packed with real vegetables and plant-based foods, perfect for little hands, and super-easy to pull together this summer or anytime of year.
VEGETARIAN LUNCH IDEAS FOR KIDS
Kids love finger foods and small bites and these vegetarian lunch recipes are the perfect solution for picky eaters.
1. Grilled Vegetable Tahini Sandwiches – from Making Thyme for Health
2. Veggie Shawarma With Marinated Tofu – from The Picky Eater
3. Vegetarian Spring Rolls – from Weelicious
4. Peanut Butter and Jelly Skewers – from Holly Grainger
5. Easy Vegetable Gnocchi – from Sweet Simple Vegan
VEGETARIAN LUNCH IDEAS FOR KIDS WITH BEANS
Beans are one of my favorite foods to feed kids.
For starters, they’re the ultimate meat substitute when you’re serving up vegetarian lunches. They’re high in protein and fiber, which satisfy hunger, balance blood sugar and help with constipation. Beans are also an excelled source of folate, zinc, iron, and magnesium and high in polyphenols, a type of antioxidant that fights inflammation. Whether you buy them canned or dry, beans are also one of the best cheap, healthy foods to stock your pantry with. Check out these vegetarian lunch ideas for kids that have beans.
6. Falafel Stuffed Flatbread With Tzatziki Sauce – from Laura Fuentes
7. Bean Burrito With Melons – from Super Healthy Kids
8. Mini Taco Salad Cups – from Damn Delicious
9. Hummus Pinwheels With Cucumber & Sun Dried Tomatoes – from From My Bowl
VEGETARIAN LUNCH IDEAS FOR KIDS WITH AVOCADO
When it comes to vegetarian lunch ideas for kids, avocado is one of the best super-foods to look for.
Not only is avocado (a fruit) a good source of fiber, but it contains 20 vitamins and minerals including vitamins B5, B6, C, E, K, folate and potassium.
Avocado is also rich in lutein and zeaxanthin, carotenoids or plant pigments found in the eyes that can improve memory and processing speed, one study found. Here are some great options with avocado.
10. Mini Avocado & Hummus Quesadilla – from Cookin Canuck
11. Secret Veggie Green Rice – from My Fusser Eater
12. Kid-Friendly Avocado Toast – from Pinch Me Good
NUT-FREE VEGETARIAN LUNCH IDEAS FOR KIDS
Vegetarian recipes often call for different types of nuts in place of meat and dairy, but if your child has food allergies like mine does, they’re off the menu.
Fortunately, there are so many healthy, delicious and nut-free vegetarian lunch ideas for kids.
16. Pad Thai (peanut free and vegan) – from Allergylicious
17. Quinoa and Spinach Patties – from Skinnytaste
18. Curried Vegetable Pot Pie (vegan) – from She Likes Food
19. Cauliflower Tater Tots – from Chocolate Covered Katie